Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Meoto Iwa husband and wife rocks

h1773

Meoto Iwa are pairs of rocks joined by a shimenawa. They are known as husband and wife rocks or wedded rocks, and are generally considered to represent Izanagi and Izanami, the primordial brother/sister husband/wife kami pair that created the Japanese Islands and the kami.

The draincover of Yasu, now a part of Konan City, in Kochi, shows a Meoto Iwa found on its coastline, though it is off the henro trail so I didnt make the detour to see them.

h1476

However, a few days before, down near Cape Muroto there was another set.

The most famous Meoto Iwa are near Ise, but in fact there are many all over Japan.

fuk7319

These were on the coast a little south of Fukuoka City.

One day in Shimonoseki 783

And these were on the Yamaguchi coast a little north of Shimonoseki.

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea there were so many. Here is one near Kanazawa: http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2010/07/wedded-rocks/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those two going down to Muroto as well. It was such a nice surprise coming around a bend in the highway as I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wow, I've only been to the one in Ise!
    I didn't know that there are 2 so close to where I live. Gotta check them out soon!
    Thanks! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't guess how small or big or those ones.

    ReplyDelete