Friday, July 29, 2011

Buddhas, Jizo, and other statues of Kunisaki 3

kuni8304

The kunisaki Peninsular in northern Kyushu is home to a huge number of stone buddhist statues.

kuni8327

many are created by craftsmen and many are "folk".

kuni8345

I can usually recognize Jizo, Kannon, Fudo Myoo, and rakan, but others are still beyond my knowledge.

kuni8381

Not all of them are old.... these are Kannon, I believe, and were at a temple known as a "womans" temple.

kuni8387

Not sure who this guy is, but he is my kind of buddha!!

kuni8405

Gradually I am learning more about the huge diversity of gods and buddhas that populate Japanese buddhism.

kuni8501

These are the last I will post for now., next will be magaibutsu... carvings directly into cliffs and rocks. Kunisaki has more of these than any other area of japan.

kuni8568

2 comments:

  1. Lovely set!
    My favorite... the laughing budda!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Kannon!! very beautiful

    ReplyDelete